Your Back to School Dental-to-do List
Assure A Smile Holistic Dentistry
It’s back to school time, which means parents are busy getting ready and buying supplies for their kids. However, it is also important to take a moment and think about your child’s dental health. We’ve put together a convenient parent dental-to-do list to help you and your children make the most of this upcoming school year.
• Make an appointment with your child’s dentist to get a checkup and dental cleaning. We recommend this twice per year—and back-to-school is the perfect time to get it done. Don’t wait until there’s a tooth ache or noticeable tooth decay, which can result in missed school. Preventative and regular dental appointments can help identify problems before they become serious.
• Regular brushing and flossing should be part of your child’s daily routine.So as you’re stocking up on pens and notebooks for school, purchase a few extra toothbrushes for home. We recommend switching out our toothbrushes when they begin to show wear, every few months. So go ahead and stock up for the school year. Now is also a good time to remind (or teach) your child about healthy dental habits, such as brushing at least twice per day and flossing daily.
• Think about your child’s school diet. Eating healthy is part of good dental health. Healthful choices for snacks and lunch include whole foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Not-so-good choices include candy, junk food, and sugary soft drinks. So if your child takes a lunch to school, make sure you plan to include healthy foods. If your child eats in a school cafeteria, review healthy options with your child before school begins so that they make healthy choices on their own.
• Consider a mouth guard to protect your child’s teeth during sports. Kids wear helmets, knee pads, and other protective gear, so don’t forget about protecting their mouth. Mouth guards can help to protect teeth, lips, tongue, face, and jaw against injuries. There are several types of mouth guards, including custom-made and over the counter stock options. Talk with your dentist about what is best for your child.
• Encourage healthy living. At Assure A Smile, we believe there is a strong connection between exercise, healthy eating and healthy teeth and gums.
Teach your child to avoid harmful chemicals and overly processed foods. Choose whole foods, fruits, and vegetables. Avoid tobacco. Drink water. Get involved in sports or be part of an exercise program. Manage stress. It’s important to encourage all of these healthy habits with your child. The way to a beautiful, sparkling smile is through making smart choices.
As a holistic dentistry, Assure A Smile is dedicated to nutritional education for better oral health and total body wellness.For over 28 years, Assure A Smile has been the leading dental care provider to all of South Florida. Our holistic dentistry is led by Dr. Ted Herrmann and based in Miami, Florida. Assure A Smile’s mission is to ensure healthy teeth and gums for life!Assure A Smile is located at 9220 SW 72nd Street, Suite 205 Miami, FL 33173. For more information call 305.274.0047 or visit assureasmile.com